02 May 2014
This document contains the information which should be reviewed prior to installing and using ezmlm-idx
This is an addition and patch to ezmlm-0.53 [(c) Dan J. Bernstein].
Ezmlm-idx uses only Dan's libraries and heavily relies on ezmlm-0.53 code.
ezmlm-idx does not function without ezmlm-0.53.
ezmlm-0.53 provides basic message distribution, subscriber address handling,
message archiving (single quoted message retrieval only), and bounce
handling. ezmlm-idx adds multi-message threaded archive retrieval, digests,
remote administration, message and subscription moderation, subscriber-only
restrictions, message trailer, subject prefix, subscriber name storage,
customizable setup, multi-language and MIME support and more. In addition,
improved bounce handling, case-insensitive subscriber address storage,
and support for distributed lists (main + sublist transparent to the
subscriber). In addition, ezmlm-idx can now be compiled with MySQL support
for centrally administrated distributed lists with binaries that autosense
use of SQL or standard ezmlm databases.
The major improvements in ezmlm-idx-0.32 are support for user transparent
sublisting and SQL database support including support for monitored and
dynamically reconfigurable sublisting. Bounce handling is also optimized to
work with very large lists. SQL-enabled lists appear to scale well even beyond
500,000 subscribers. ezmlm-idx-0.321 is a bug-fix of 0.32 (see CHANGES.idx).
- See INSTALL.idx for installation instructions.
- See UPGRADE.idx to upgrade from a previous version of ezmlm-idx.
- See CHANGES.idx to see what's new in this version.
- See FILES.idx for a list of files in this package.
- See FAQ.idx for more info on ezmlm(-idx) functions and setup
(see below on how to get the latest version).
- See ezman-0.xx* for a user's/administrator's manual to ezmlm/idx. Available
on line at http://ezmlm.untroubled.org/ezman/
http://cr.yp.to/ezmlm.html for the latest information about
for the latest version of ezmlm-idx and docs on line.
to join the ezmlm mailing list.
list (averages 3 messages per day). This list is run by Dan J. Bernstein
using ezmlm-0.53. Mail
email@example.com for an independently
maintained digest version of the list.
Send general comments and questions to:
Send bug reports and patches to:
Below, acknowledgements and a list of systems where ezmlm-idx has been reported
- Fred B. Ringel, first and foremost, for a great collaboration, ideas, testing,
docs clarification. This makes it so much more fun.
- Dan J. Bernstein for qmail, ezmlm, and great libraries.
- Toshinori Maeno (TM) for finding an ezmlm-idx-0.20
bug, and MIME suggestions, suggestions about hopcount and received headers,
return-path header in archive, sublist loop detection, many other suggestions
and explanations, as well as pre-release testing.
- Frank Tegtmeyer for inciting digests and format info/suggestions, and for
- Mark Delany for the original ezmlm-issub and for suggesting reordering
unlink() and doit() in ezmlm-warn.
- Raul Miller and Chris Garrigues for format info/suggestions.
- Thomas Erskine (TEE) for fix to clean sunos-4.1.3 compiles
and pre-release compilation on many platforms, fixes for bash-isms in
ezmlm-check, and testing.
- Shuhei Kobayashi (SK) for MIME corrections/suggestions,
X-sequence suggestions, ezmlm-check/make corrections, and pre-release testing.
- Yusuf Goolamabbas (YG) and the Mutt developers for
pointing out outdated MIME, ezmlmrc improvements, outformat bug, suggestion
about ezmlm-moderate -r switch, and pre-release testing.
- Brian Gentry (BG) for reporting the
ezmlm-moderate-0.12 exit code bug.
- Anand R. Buddhev (ARB) for fix to clean BSDI 2.1 compiles
and pre-release testing.
- Masashi Fujita (MF) for fix to clean SGI
compiles, lint advice, MIME suggestions, pre-release testing, a patch for
the ezmlm-make-0.21 -c bug, ezmlmrc.jp, and finding postmsg bug in 0.301.
- Matthew D. Stock (MDS) for pre-release testing.
- Ximenes Zalteca for finding an ezmlm-send-0.21 bug.
- Jukka Suomela (JS) for inciting the ezmlm-send -cC
- John White (johnjohn) for questions leading to ezmlm-tstdig,
and for testing the example script.
- Torben Fjerdingstad (TF) for testing case-insensitive
issub.c and subscribe.c, for TARGETS, for suggesting a no-copy-to-SENDER
option, for ezmlmrc.da, and for pre-release testing.
- Shinya O'Hira (SOH) for reporting the
ezmlm-make-0.22 lock file name bug and for testing the fix. Also for many
helpful suggestions and hard work testing rfc2047 subject support and
asking for ezmlm-limit functionality.
- Sadhu(sa) & Tracy Reed (TR;) for reporting
the ezmlm-send-0.22 undefined SENDER bug, and testing the fix.
- Scott Balantyne (SDB) for inciting the modifications for digest
out of dir/editor.
- Frank Denis () for ezmlmrc.fr.
- Marc Evans (ME) for reporting the ezmlm-make-0.221 64-bit bug
and pre-release testing, and inciting, improving, and testing ezmlm-test.
- Vince Vielhaber (VV) for reporting ezmlm-check problems with
non-bash and testing fixes.
- Andrew Pam (AP) for suggesting the ezmlm-idx -d switch and
reporting the ezmlm-gate failure on NULL $SENDER bug.
- Glen Stewart (GS) for reminding me about command
case insensitivity and ezmlmrc typo fixes.
- Kenji Ikeda (KI) for a patch to ezmlm-idx-0.23 to get
message numbers in subjects. I've added code to ezmlm-idx-0.30 implementing
this is a similar manner. Sen Nagata (sen) for suggesting this
earlier. Bugfix for missing MIME boundary in -index reply.
- Sebastian Andersson (SA) for ezmlmrc.sv, MIME suggestions and
- Giorgos Stathakopoulos (GS; stathako#cti) for pre-release testing.
- David Summers (DS; david#summersoft) for pre-release testing,
reporting a ezmlm-check bug and SPEC files for rpms.
- Steinar Haug (STH; sthaug#nethelp) for pointing out missing ';' in
ezmlmrc (caused problems with /bin/sh on FreeBSD), and the trigger message
received lines in the digest header.
- Peter Hunter (PH) for suggesting dir/headeradd and list address in digest
headers and for reporting a "cosmetic" bug in subscription logging.
- Jim Simmons (JS) for finding the n/d switch misnaming in ezmlmrc for text file
- Sergiusz Pawlowicz (SP) for ezmlmrc.pl, and many entries
- Wanderlei Antonio Cavassin (WAC) for ezmlmrc.pt_BR.
- Jim Simmons for finding a missing-newline-mime bug in
- Monte Mitzelfelt (MM) for suggesting alternative
From: for ezmlm-manage help messages to break responder loops.
- Louis Larry (LL) for reporting a 0.311 prefix
- Sigi Remsmurr (SR), Bill Nugent (), James
Smallacombe (JS) for ezmlmrc corrections/suggestions.
- Matthew Saunders (MS) for ezmlm-glconf.sh corrections and
reporting crashability of ezmlm-get by abnormal use (fixed).
- Petr Novotny (PN) for ezdomo.tar.gz corrections.
- Evan Champion (EC) for ezmlm-request bug report.
- Jeff Hill (JH) for ezmlm-reject bug report.
- Bruno Wolff (BW) for Ultrix fixes.
- Butch Evans (BE) for reporting trailer problems with
multipart/alternative messages and testing fix.
- Kragen Sitaker (KS) for reporting ezmlm-manage -get bug.
- Lars B. Rasmusson (LBR) for prerelease testing with sun cc.
- Mike McLeish (MMcL) for reporting problems using the 'x' format and testing the fix.
- Jan Kasprzak (JK) for ezmlmrc.cs and headerremove
- Matt McGlynn for reporting 0.32 ezmlmrc -return omission.
- Roman V Isaev (RVI) for ezmlmrc.ru as well as suggestions
on -allow automation.
- Numerous users for suggestions/corrections for the documentation.
- I'm sure I've forgotten others who have contributed ideas, questions,